Goals and Aims
- Study the nature, scope, and severity of multi-level contributors to cancer health disparities
- Analyze DCI patients and catchment area data by NC county.
- Examine key disparity drivers: societal, social, neighborhood, institutional, and ancestry-related biology.
- Examine key risk factors:
- Environmental, policy
- Determine why certain cancers affect some communities and groups more than others.
- Test and implement community-based interventions that promote cancer health equity.
- Increase diversity in biobanking and clinical trials.
- Increase community engagement in research and community health.
- Identify gaps and needs for recommended cancer screenings.
- Increase awareness through community outreach activities and education.
- Provide multi-directional education to the community, scientists, and policymakers.
- Develop local and culturally appropriate solutions to health equity challenges.
- Build and sustain partnerships to develop culturally appropriate interventions to reduce cancer disparities.
- Reduce known cancer risk factors.
- Increase screening and early detection.
- Remove barriers to recommended cancer screenings, diagnostic testing, genetic/genomic testing, care, and clinical trials.
- Improve access to primary care, cancer treatment, and post-treatment supportive care.