In observance of national lung cancer awareness month, the Duke Cancer Institute Smoking Cessation Program (Quit at Duke) presents "Ask, Advise, Refer and Prescribe: Strategies for Talking to Cancer Patients About Tobacco Use" — a DCI COEE -hosted "Conversations with Our Community" event held in partnership with the North Carolina Oncology Navigator Association, the North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services, the North Carolina Advisory Committee on Cancer Coordination and Control, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Eshelman School of Pharmacy.
This virtual training course (for CE credit) is available to members of the North Carolina Oncology Navigator Association (NCONA), healthcare professionals, and community health workers and will take place on November 28, 2023 from noon to 1:30 PM.
- Sarah Arthur, MBA, Comprehensive Cancer Control Program Manager, Cancer Prevention and Control Branch, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Ronny A. Bell, PhD, MS, Fred Eshelman Distinguished Professor and Chair, Division of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Megan Keith, MSW, LCSW, Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Duke Smoking Cessation Program
- Joyce Swetlick, MPH, Director of Tobacco Cessation, QuitlineNC, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Jean Sellers, RN, MSN, Executive Director, North Carolina Oncology Navigator Association
- (Moderator) Kearston L. Ingraham, MPH, Assistant Director, Duke Cancer Institute's Community Outreach, Engagement, and Equity program
- Describe tobacco use rates in North Carolina and cancer population;
- Identify causal relationship between continued tobacco use and cancer risk recurrence and worsened cancer treatment outcomes;
- Describe effective methods of tobacco use treatment; and
- Summarize Ask, Advise, Refer model to engage patients in tobacco use treatment, including using a validated question to assess tobacco use.
Registration is free and required. This event is open to all community members, so please share with others. Virtual seats are limited, so please register by November 27, 2023 at 5:00 pm EST.
After registration is completed, a Zoom link for the webinar will be provided the day of the event.
For questions email email@example.com.